- Published on Friday, 24 May 2013 00:00
1:32 Gnôme Monosoupape 9 Type B-2 (100hp)
Catalogue # D3213
Available from Story Models for £23.90
The Gnôme Monosoupape 9 Type B-2 was a 100hp, nine-cylinder British rotary engine, which was used on numerous aircraft types, such as the DH.2, DH.5, Avro 504, Bristol Scout, Sopwith Pup. Development continued from 1915 with the French company Gnôme et Rhone, and along with its almost direct German equivalent, the Oberursel UI, was one of the most successful aero engines of the Great War.
- Published on Thursday, 23 May 2013 00:00
1/48 Mikoyan MiG-29 9-12 Fulcrum
Great Wall Hobby
Kit # GW-L4811
Available from Creative Models for £57.99
Sometimes I wonder if Great Wall Hobby is being run by either a bunch of paranoid security types. How else to explain their aversion to establishing any kind of pattern or routine with their subject choices? In 1/48 scale alone, the shift from Focke Wulf Fw 189 to P-61 Black Widow to TBD Devastator is jarring. Now, with their fourth quarter scale kit, Great Wall has cranked their unpredictability dial to 11 with a cracking, state-of-the-art Mikoyan MiG-29 9-12 Fulcrum.
- Published on Thursday, 23 May 2013 00:00
May News from A2Zee Models
In a run up to planning your pre-summer stash and project purchases, A2Zee Models have launched their latest releases in both kit and aftermarket form, with their excellent Shorts Tucano making another appearance in new scheme form, and also a sort of 'dual combo', allowing two full models to be completed from the box. If you're thinking of building the 1:32 Revell Heinkel He 196, but the cruddy flat-pack canopy puts you off, then look no further!
- Published on Wednesday, 22 May 2013 00:00
1:48 Bezels and Cockpit Details
Catalogue # PE48 BEZ and PE48 DET respectively
Available from Airscale for £7.95 each
A while ago, we reviewed Airscale's excellent 1:32 cockpit based, photo etch detail sets. These releases concerned instrument bezels and general cockpit instrumentation. I'm very pleased to say that Airscale have now released this in 1:48 scale for the quarter-scale detail junkies out there. The sets we have are:
- Published on Tuesday, 21 May 2013 00:00
1:32 Seatbelts for Sopwith Snipe, RE.8 and DH.9a
Catalogue # and price: see article
Available from HGW
HGW are busy filling in the back catalogue of Wingnut Wings releases with laser cut editions of their excellent seatbelt sets. These microfibre and photo-etch belts really are in a league of their own. The sets we've been sent are:
- Published on Monday, 20 May 2013 00:00
1/32 P-47C/D Main wheels
Catalogue # See article.
Available from Barracuda Studios for $8.95 each
Roy Sutherland at Barracuda Studios has sent SP&R his latest wheel sets, this time for fans of accurate 1:32 P-47 'Jugs'. Wheels are a science in themselves, with numerous tread patterns being used in various theatres, periods etc. Barracuda have released THREE new sets to cater to all your Thunderbolt needs, and these are:
- Published on Friday, 17 May 2013 00:00
Mud (Various types)
See article for details and price
Available from Creative Models for £5.99 each
Ever wanted to create a muddy landscape for your diorama but didn't know how to achieve it? Well, MIG Productions latest addition to their range is MIG Productions MUD. With this new product range, all modellers will be able create realistic mud, soils and landscapes in your dioramas and models with ease and less fuss to other methods that have been used in the past.
The products we've been sent to take a look at are:
- Published on Thursday, 16 May 2013 00:00
Cold War Aircraft Modeller (Issue 2 – Spring 2013)
Published Quarterly by Workbench Miniatures
Price: £8.00 plus £2.00 UK P&P by PayPal (P&P for other countries vary)
Available from: https://www.facebook.com/WorkbenchMiniatures
Digital Copies: www.pocketmags.com (including out of print issues)
I love magazines. I buy magazines on model making, motor racing and gadgets so when I read someone's Facebook post about a new modelling magazine featuring aircraft of the cold war I just had to find out more.
- Published on Wednesday, 15 May 2013 00:00
Catalogue # RB-T038
Available from RB Productions for €6.50
If you haven't yet seen the light and tried out some of RB Productions rather excellent photo etch saws, then here comes another release of those sets you will end up filing under "how did I cope without that?"
- Published on Tuesday, 14 May 2013 00:00
Soviet T-26 Light Infantry Tank Mod.1931
Catalogue # 82494
Available from Creative Models for £23.99
This is my first look at HobbyBoss armour. The 'sister' company of Trumpeter (I have never quite nailed down the relationship between the two) have produced a fair amount of armour, but for the most part they have been peripheral WWII subjects or modern ones. Perhaps their most mainstream WWII subject was the SdKfz 222 armoured car - a kit which has some significant shape issues. I will be upfront and say I do not have any reference for the T-26, beyond what the reader presumably has themselves ie the internet. As such, this will be a 'what's in the box' review.
- Published on Monday, 13 May 2013 00:00
1:32 Bristol M1.C
Catalogue # ACRK32-10
Available from A2Zee Models for £59.00
The Bristol M1.C Scout was developed as a private venture due to the establishment's deep-seated mistrust of monoplane aircraft. The Fokker Scourge of 1915 must've been easily forgotten in that respect. The performance of the 110hp Clerget powered M1 Scout was also proven during its maiden flight in 1916, and in subsequent test flying. Despite the very promising performance exhibited during flight trials, a number of problems were encountered.
- Published on Friday, 10 May 2013 00:00
1:32 Fokker D.VII Radiators
Available from RB Productions for €6.00
Only an item or so of aftermarket has surfaced for the excellent range of Wingnut Wings Fokker D.VII kits (F, OAW, Alb & Fok) so far. HGW have released a set of D.VII specific seatbelts, and will no doubt have a number of other sets on the market before too long. RB Productions have now released a simple upgrade set which is designed to improve the incorrect mesh pattern of the kit radiator parts with a more accurate and sharp honeycomb design.
- 1/48 MiG-21MF "The Bunny Fighter" from Eduard
- 1/35 Light Tank VK 1602 "Leopard" from Amusing Hobby
- Gnome Monosoupape, coming soon from Taurus Models
- Messerschmitt Bf109 F - The Ace Maker by Kagero
- 1:35 U.S. M1070 Tractor / M1000 Heavy Equipment Transporter Upgrade Sets from ET Model
- 1:32 Fokker D.VII Parts 1 & 2 from Lifelike Decals
- US Navy / Marines Fighter Pilot - Tropical from Master Details
- JG 52 - Aces of the Eastern Front from Kagero
- 1/32 AN6510 US WWII Era Aircrew Parachutes from True Details
- 1/32 Photo-Etch Upgrades for Revell He219 from Eduard
- April releases from Kagero
- The Messerschmitt Bf 109 Early Series - News from Valiant Wings
- 1/32 Boeing B-17G Flying Fortress from HK Models
- 1:48 Spitfire Mk.IXc Late ProfiPACK, from Eduard
- 1:350 U-Boat Type VIIC from Jasmine Model
- 1:48 Top Falcons 'Limited Edition' from Eduard
- P-38 Lightning Mini Topcolours at War Kagero
- 1:32 He 219 wheels, from Eduard
- 1:35 Sherman Tank Periscope Guards and Lamp, Horn and Tail Light Guards from MMC Design
- JG54 Green Heart Fighters from Kagero