1/24 Tasca German Motorcycle Zundapp KS750 with Sidecar Pt2

Build Review – Part II

cover

 

Introduction
This is the second instalment of my walk-through build of Tasca's 1/24 German Motorcycle Zundapp KS750 with Sidecar, kit #24-004. The initial review and sprue shots are HERE; whilst Part I of the build can be found HERE. By way of a quick recap, we have already completed the wheels and front fork assembly. The wheels do have some seam lines visible, but should look stunning on the finished model, and front forks look very realistic. In this review I will be looking at the engine assembly...

IMG 3363

Step 4: Engine Assembly
The engine structure comprises the main block in 2 parts (A14 and A15), and what I take to be the cylinders with their distinctive cooling gills on either side; these are also made up of 2 parts each. Where parts are not the main body colour, they are called out in the instructions.

IMG 3411

I must say I found it strange that there are no locating pins for A14 and A15, given this is the core of the assembly. Care will be required to make sure everything is 'square' and correctly aligned, but as soon as you have the cylinder heads on, it starts to look like an engine.

IMG 3413

IMG 3417

 

One final note about these 2 parts: there is a very fine ridge that should run along the top of the engine block, but because one of the sprue gates is located right on this ridge, clean up is very difficult without damaging it. An alternative would be to remove the ridge completely once the block has been put together, sand it smooth, and then add a small piece of thin strip styrene. This way you will have a nice clean join between the 2 parts (which I confess I did not really have), and also have a crisp ridge.

IMG 3418

There is a choice between normal and tropical air filters. I went for the tropical, which is made up of 4 parts, and looks like 3 tubes protruding from the end of the engine block. I noted though all of the decal scheme drawings show the tropical filter fitted – I don't know if that is by design or not.

IMG 3419

There are quite a few small parts to be added as you go through this assembly, including a tiny wing nut (A18) and the spherical lever head (A53). When fixing this lever head to the shaft, I strongly recommend you glue the shaft to the head whilst the latter is still on its sprue (don't ask why I know this!).

IMG 3420

IMG 3421

The various foot pedals and levers are all wonderfully moulded, and thankfully easy to clean up (sprue gates thoughtfully at either end). As soon as you attach these the block really must be handled with care – obvious, but worth stating I think. There are also instructions to drill a hole in either side of the engine block, into which a wire should be inserted (malleable wire is provided). The other end of the wire is attached to parts A13 (x2), which are the spark plugs; when doing this, you will have to snip the pointy end of A13 off, otherwise I think you will struggle to attach the wires.

The only time I really had to sit and think was regarding the precise alignment of the foot pedals / levers (parts A17, A20 and A21): the instructions are not clear, and you have to look at later steps to find what you are looking for; it does matter because parts of the engine frame will run very close to them, and if placed incorrectly, will foul the framework I think.

It would have been good to have 1/1 line drawings of both sides of the completed engine (there is a similar such diagram of the front fork and wheel), but since this is a fairly common machine, I imagine there are plenty of references and pictures on the net.

This minor point aside, I think the engine looks quite impressive, even before painting and weathering. Another mini success for the kit!

IMG 3423

IMG 3424

IMG 3425

 

The next part of this review will move on to the drive shaft and engine framework assembly, so stay tuned...

With thanks to the team at Tasca for the review sample.

Nicholas Mayhew